Home Stretch Allowance (Independent Accommodation) - practice advice

Young people residing in residential care, kinship care or foster care have the option of moving to an independent accommodation arrangement, supported by an allowance.

This practice advice has been developed to support practitioners working with young people who with the support of a Home Stretch Allowance (Independent Accommodation) will move to an independent accommodation arrangement (for example, a head-leased property, private rental, or shared housing) between the age of 18 and 21 years.